Hmm, well then.

Monday, January 07, 2008

Here I am, at the end of my winter break already. It went by so fast and yet I'm so satisfied with everything I accomplished. From simply hanging out with Kurt and with friends, watching movies, cooking, working, and, well, a tiny bit of knitting. My house projects definitely took precedence over my knitting, especially when things started to go to hell.

The Wildflower Cardigan was flying along for awhile until I took it off the needles and realized it was too big... and that the ribbing at the waist in this heavy worsted weight yarn sort of made me look like I had a tire around my waist. Tonight, inspiration finally hit: I've re-written the pattern for the boatload of Angora Extra I bought right before the semester ended. It will be a very thin, airy cardigan which is actually much more like the inspiration, which itself is an angora blend. We'll see how it goes anyway. I'm excited to get started! Luckily, or unluckily depending on how you look at it, there is always a ton of reading at the start of the semester so I should have time to knit away on it while I read.

My dad's socks also flew along until I got sidetracked, and then fell out of love with, the Wildflower Cardigan. I've finished the first and am just about to the heel flap on the second. The Mystic Alpaca I'm knitting them with is slightly scratchy knit up, which was really surprising to me for how soft it was in the ball. I don't think it'll be too bad though. It's like the slight scratchiness of my old Knitpicks socks: you notice when you put them on and then after five minutes you don't.

So that's what's going on here. I'm not sure why I didn't think of the switch with the yarn before now. I think I was just so set on making the Elizabeth Bennet Cardigan from the Angora Extra - no matter how much it didn't want to cooperate (and it really didn't want to... the only way I got a decent fabric was if I doubled it). I actually wouldn't be surprised if the brown 10 ply I WAS using for the WC would be perfect for the EB. Isn't that just the way things go?

I hope everyone's holidays were good and that your year is off to a great start!

2 comments:

Gena said...

Sometimes, the yarn knows what it wants to be, and nothing you do can change it's mind. Because inanimate objects have minds, you know.

Anonymous said...

again, condolences on Wildflower Cardi v.1. brilliant idea on the v.2, though. Can't wait to see it!

Good luck with classes today!!!

 
TNB