Finally Friday...

Friday, September 30, 2005

Knitting this week has been pretty sporadic. I always look forward to my son's martial arts class so I can knit and watch. I even have my own little spot on the floor between the racks of chairs and the weights. The music coming from the weight room behind us is always okay too, which I sort of missed when I started bringing my own headset to block out the sounds of Kurt's teacher. I really, really dislike the man but Kurt learns well from him and really enjoys this type of martial arts. There is a gigantic backstory to all this that I won't get into, let's just suffice it to say I don't like him. Anyway, Wednesday I forgot the headset and was reminded of how fun it is to listen to the radio (mix tapes??) I hear from next door. There were The Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and plenty of other fun indie rock mixed with some weird rap song reminiscent of Cypress Hill and a couple really screamy metal songs and Bush. Such a strange combination. I think that's what makes it so great to hear things like Modest Mouse in the midst of it all. They never get real obscure - like the Califone that makes up my banner title - but it's fun.

Knitting though. It's been really great in some spots and absolutely atrocious in others. Lara. I can't stand Lara. I don't know if it's the increase in stitches since I put the sleeves on or the extra weight it adds or that I'm so used to nice non-slippy wooden needles now but Lara makes me want to just cut my wrists off and see if I can live without them. I'm thinking of asking someone at the knitting group if I can borrow a US 3 circular wooden needle to complete her. If I have to continue on with this metal slippery POS I may seriously begin to contemplate just frogging her. But what a waste since I'll probably never use the yarn for something else and who would want it after it's been knit lacey and then frogged and well, it's 100% cotton and it SUCKS. Ahem. Anyway, I hate Lara.

My grandma's socks on the other hand are awesome. I love them so much. Lorna's Laces is so beautiful and nice to work with. I finished the first sock last weekend and am already halfway through the second. So fun. Here are some pics.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I would have cut the first pic to make it look nicer (I think cutting is one way to become a better "photographer") and kept the cut up second one bigger to show the cable better but as I may have said before, I don't have any good photo software at work. And I don't really take the time to blog at home. It's not like I'm always skipping out on work though. We're alloted a 15 minute break in the morning and afternoon and I TRY to blog during those times. My whole point here though was to tell you I think I did okay with what I had to work with. The cable shot? That was cropped in MS Word. Can't tell me I'm not resourceful.

Also, I finally remembered to take a picture of some of our garden goodies. This is the last haul of the year. We may get a few more tomatoes but, for the most part, they've been eaten by slugs (I didn't know slugs ate tomatoes?!?) and since it's now lightly freezing at night, I think we're pretty much done. But doesn't it all look so pretty and tasty?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

We made carrot casserole last night and it was soooo delicious with the fresh carrots! I can't wait to garden next year.

Well, times up. Great weekends to anyone who reads this!

0 comments:

 
TNB