Secret Pal Post

Monday, September 19, 2005

I haven't heard from my secret pal yet but I bet she's (he's??) out there lurking or maybe on vacation or maybe working hard on trying to decide what she'll (he'll??) do to surprise me. In any case, here's my questionnaire:

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I’m becoming more of a yarn snob, I think. I’ve used Lion Brand Wool-ease for a couple sweaters and more than a couple scarves (to save cost on the sweaters and to avoid extra scratchy scarves) but have started branching out lately. Red Heart has definitely become a “no” for me. Once I knit with natural fibers, most 100% acrylics just feel gross and sticky.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I actually started crocheting when I was very young and it’s what got me into knitting but I haven’t crocheted a thing since I learned to knit. And I don’t spin and don’t really plan to but, you never know. My dad says he’s going to get a couple sheep so I may have to. ;-)

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
Perfume gives me awful headaches but I’m pretty easy to please otherwise. If something smells like smoke or has cat hair on it, I can always wash it, right? (Plus, I have cats so I’m used to it getting everywhere and cleaning it off later.)

4. How long have you been knitting?
Coming up on a year in November.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I have one at Knitpicks but I think that’s the only one. I can always start a new one if you need more ideas!

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Mmm, I used to buy hazelnut coffee candles that smelled delicious. Usually I just go for the milder sweet or fruity smells. Flowery smells trigger migraines, unfortunately. Not too many candles in my house though because of the cats but incense is okay (nag champa is my favorite scent of that.)

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Yes, definitely! Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. Truffles, toblerones, swiss chocolate, hostess cupcakes, candy bars… I’d have a hard time living without chocolate.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I love to work on my house, even though I only rent. I don’t do many other crafts though except for a very little amount of sewing. I draw and use oil pastels, I read a lot, and watch movies instead.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I would assume my computer can play MP3s but I know my stereo doesn’t. It’s as old as the hills. I’m an indie rock geek so music in that genre is pretty safe. I also like alt-country but I get a little pickier there.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
Red and brown are great colors. I also like dark blue and oranges together. I also own a pair of lime green polyester pants so, you know, I’m pretty open to colors. If I had to choose some that I don’t really like I’d have to say anything purple-y or mauve.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
My son Kurt, he’s ten, and I live in a little tiny house with two cats, Fred and George.

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
Hah, who knows! I work in the asset development field right now and really enjoy it for the most part. I see myself someday getting a cushy research job at a university and spending my time reading about weird and interesting subjects. Then again, when I was my son’s age I wanted to be a professional gymnast so these aspirations may change.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Ooh, I made a friend a felted purse out of Paton’s wool and it knit up like a dream. If that’s any indication of how most wools knit up than I really like wool. I’m also really loving the Lorna’s Laces I bought for my grandma’s Christmas socks. But I haven’t really experimented with many yarns so I don’t really have a definite favorite yet.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Well, I like cotton but I HATE knitting with 100% cotton. There’s this Lara yarn from Elann.com… ugh, I hate it. Oh, and anything even remotely novelty. Not a fan of the novelty yarn at all.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
I’ve been sucked into sock oblivion…

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
So far, socks. But I also really like the process of knitting sweaters and constructing them. It’s very satisfying.

17. What are you knitting right now?
A pair of socks for my grandma for Christmas and the Eyelet Ribbed Sweater (aka, the 100% cotton yarn sweater that just won’t die.)

18. What do you think about ponchos?
No. I can see the attraction for others but not my thing, not my style, not anything I’m interested in knitting or wearing.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Straight definitely.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Bamboo. Metal and plastic are much too slippery for my poor wrists to deal with though plastic is better than metal.

21. Are you a sock knitter?
Yes, I am now!

22. How did you learn to knit?
About.com’s tutorial. Then later the Stitch-n-Bitch book because I realized I was doing my stitches backwards.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
Probably 3 months? I’ve just picked it up again though so maybe it will be done soon.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Animated character would have to be someone from Hayao Miyazaki’s films: Chihiro from Spirited Away, Nausicaa from Nausicaa from the Valley of the Wind, or Rei from Neon Genesis Evangelion. Or anyone from Furi Kuri. You did mean animated character in general and not a Disney character or something right? Hah. Animal would be cats and I don’t like birds. Well, I like the way owls and hawks look flying around but I’m not a big fan of birds in general.

25. What is your favorite holiday?
Thanksgiving. You get to see and visit all of your relatives without the rush and pressure of gift-giving!

26. Is there anything that you collect?
Dimes, but that’s not on purpose and a whole other story.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
None actually. I’ve thought of getting one but have no idea where to start.

28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
Can’t think of any. I haven’t really spent too much on books since most only have one or two patterns I would use. $20-$25 for two patterns isn’t too much of a bargain.

29. Any patterns you have been coveting, but haven't bought for one reason or another??
None that I can think of at the moment… Wow, I hope I’m not totally ruining the hint part of this. I just honestly don’t know of any patterns because I’ve been obsessed with finding cute free patterns.

30. What are your foot measurements, and what kind of socks do you like?
My feet are 8 ¾” around the ball of my foot and I’m a size 9–9½. I like any kind of socks really. I’m not a huge fan of variegated sock yarn (though that’s what I used for my first pair), I love stripes and oddball color combinations, and knee socks that I can wear with skirts.

1 comments:

Katie Collette said...

Ooh, I'm so excited! And a SUPERsecretpal. How did you know super is one of my favorite words? ;)

 
TNB