So....

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

No knitting to speak of. Nope, Lolita has me mesmermized. I've seen the Kubrick film in the past but it was awhile ago so bits of the story are fuzzy or lost to me. For instance, I can't remember if the movie explains that the main reason he fell so in love with Lolita right off was because of how much she reminded him of his first love, little Annabel. I may have to watch the movie again but for now, the book is just captivating. But it's a fairly short book so you'll see more knitting by next week, I promise. Then again I'm going through The Modern Library's 100 Best Novels lists so I may hit on another that I can't put down!

It's so funny though, how so much of my life has become about knitting whether I'm knitting or not. For instance, I think I found that link through In the Pink, a knitting blog. I come across interesting tidbits or articles or whatever in knitting blogs or at knitting group or in knitting magazines and I find myself noticing the connection as I pass them on to others. It's not like this has never happened before with other hobbies, like music or art, but it's just surprising to me, I guess. A little over a year and a half ago I stumbled across some knitting blogs and just didn't "get it". I liked the pretty pictures and was inspired by what they'd done but thought it was sort of boring to read about knitting. Of course, this was before I actually started knitting... Now I'm hooked, to both it seems. But I think it's because I now realize it's not all about knitting - knitting is just the one thing we all have in common. For some blogs I read, that's the only thing we have in common but in others, there are several.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember reading Lolita...I love that book. I've never seen the movie.

Tangentally, have you ever seen Broken Flowers, with Bill Murray? Great, great movie. (There's a character named Lolita...you have to see it. But probably not with Kurt.)

I was the same way when I first came across the knitting blogs. I wondered how anyone could write about knitting, day in and day out. After reading for a little while, I realized how much more there is to it, and I've been addicted ever since. (Cripes, I sound like a commercial.)

Cathi said...

Knitting is life, baby! :)

 
TNB